Place:


Wapping  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wapping like this:

WAPPING, a parish in Stepney district, Middlesex; on the Thames, at the London docks, 2 miles ESE of St. Paul's, London. It forms a low strip along the river's bank; was overflowed or marshy till the time of Elizabeth; was then reclaimed, embanked, and converted into meadow and building site; had only one street in the time of Charles II.; was the scene of Judge Jeffries' capture in a sailor's disguise in 1688; formed part of Whitechapel parish till about 1695; became all occupied with streets or with appurtenances of London harbour; is now occupied, over considerable space, by part of the London docks; suffered demolition of many houses for dock extension prior to 1861; presents the appearances characteristic of the port of London; and has a post-office‡ under London E, a Thames police station, a church, an endowed school with £587 a year, a Roman Catholic school, a workhouse, and charities £47. ...


Acres, 80; of which 39 are water. Real property, £39,560. Pop. in 1851, 4,477; in 1861, 4,038,-of whom 341 were in the workhouse. Houses, 435. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of London.

Wapping through time

Wapping is now part of Tower Hamlets district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tower Hamlets has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wapping itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wapping, in Tower Hamlets and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4097

Date accessed: 19th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wapping ".