Place:


East Clandon  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Clandon like this:

CLANDON (East), a parish in Guildford district, Surrey; near the river Wey, 3½ miles SSE of Woking r. station, and 4½ NE by E of Guildford. Post town, West Clandon, under Guildford. Acres, 1, 449. Real property, £1, 691. Pop., 283. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. ...


Hatchlands was the seat and death-place of Admiral Boscawen; and is now the seat of Colonel Sumner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £152.* Patron, the Earl of Lovelace. The church is decorated English, and good; but has been defaced by plaster. Goffe, the poet, who flourished in the early part of the 17th century, was rector.

East Clandon through time

East Clandon is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Clandon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Clandon, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4092

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Clandon ".