Place:


Gileston  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gileston like this:

GILESTON, a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan; on the coast, near Breaksea point, 5 miles S of Cowbridge r. station, and 13 WSW of Cardiff. Post town, St. Athan under Cowbridge. Acres, 496; of whch 145 are water. Real property, £658. Pop., 70. Houses, 11. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £80. Patron, the Rev. J. Edwardes. The church is good.

Gileston through time

Gileston is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gileston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gileston in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4087

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gileston ".