Place:


Middleton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton like this:

MIDDLETON, a township, conjoint with Smerril, in Youlgreave parish, Derby; 5 miles SSW of Bakewell. Acres, 2,300. Real property, £3,115. Pop., 244. Houses, 50. Lombardale Hall is the seat of the Batemans; and was the residence of the late T. Bateman, Esq., who investigated the antiquities of the county, and formed a large museum. Arborlowes Ring is a complete Druidical circle; and there are many barrows, in which Celtic relics have been found. A chapel of ease was built in 1865; and there is a dissenting chapel, built by the late T. Bateman, Esq.

Middleton through time

Middleton is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Middleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middleton in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4081

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Middleton ".