Place:


Whitchurch  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitchurch like this:

WHITCHURCH, a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan; on the river Taff, 1 mile NNW of Llandaff r. station. It has a post-office under Cardiff. Acres, 3,192. Real property, £6,409. Pop. in 1851, 1,661; in 1861, 2,274. Houses, 470. The increase of pop. arose from extension of tin and iron manufacture. Velindre and Greenmeadow are chief residences. There are a barrow and a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is good; and there are three dissenting chapels.

Whitchurch through time

Whitchurch is now part of Cardiff district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cardiff has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitchurch, in Cardiff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4073

Date accessed: 27th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitchurch ".