Place:


Cleethorpes  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cleethorpes like this:

CLEETHORPES, or Cleethorpe-with-Thrunscoe, a township in Clee parish, Lincoln; on the coast, at the Humber's mouth, and at the terminus of a branch of the Manchester and Lincolnshire railway, 2½ miles ESE of Great Grimsby. It has a railway station, a post office, of the name of Cleethorpes, under Grimsby, good hotels, numerous new lodging-houses, and a fine sandy beach; and is a watering-place, much frequented in summer for sea-bathing. ...


Pop., 1, 230. Houses, 268. Many of the inhabitants are employed in oyster-dredging. There are a church in the second pointed style, built in 1866, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a national school, and a coast-guard station.

Cleethorpes through time

Cleethorpes is now part of North East Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cleethorpes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cleethorpes in North East Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/407

Date accessed: 17th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cleethorpes ".