Place:


Bursledon  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bursledon like this:

BURSLEDON, a village and a parish in South Stoneham district, Hants. The village stands on the Humblecreek, 4¼ miles SSW of Botley and Bishops-Waltham r. station, and 4¾ ESE of Southampton; and has a post office under Southampton. A small quay is here; and trade is carried on in corn and coals; and ship-building was formerly done to the extent of constructing some large men of war. ...


The parish comprises 759 acres of land and 110 of water. Real property, £2,231. Pop., 659. Houses, 149. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, under the vicarage of Hound, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £110.* Patron, Winton College. The church possesses interest, but is not good. A railway from Botley to Bishops-Waltham was formed in 1862-3; and one was contemplated, at the same time, from Botley to Bursledon.

Bursledon through time

Bursledon is now part of Eastleigh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eastleigh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bursledon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bursledon, in Eastleigh and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3985

Date accessed: 18th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bursledon ".