Place:


Fulbourn  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fulbourn like this:

FULBOURN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Chesterton district, Cambridge. The village stands under Gogmagog hill, adjacent to the Cambridge and Newmarket railway, 5 miles ESE of Cambridge; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Cambridge. -The parish comprises 5, 221 acres. ...


Real property, £7, 550. Pop., 1, 548. Houses, 298. The property is much subdivided. Fulbourn House is the seat of the Townleys. There were formerly two parishes-F. All Saints and F. St. Vigor's; and the two livings remain distinct. All Saints is a vicarage, and St. Vigor's a rectory, in the diocese of Ely. Value of the former, £253; of the latter, £442.* Patron of the former, the Bishop of Peterborough; of the latter, St. John's College, Cambridge. All Saints Church was taken down in 1776. St. Vigor's church is later English, and was about to be restored in 1869. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists, the county lunatic asylum, erected at a cost of about £40, 000, and containing accommodation for 250 inmates, a national school, an endowed school with £35, and other charities with £273. -The sub-district contains ten parishes. Acres, 21, 933. Pop., 8, 293. Houses, 1, 778.

Fulbourn through time

Fulbourn is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fulbourn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fulbourn in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3824

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fulbourn ".