Place:


Beighton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beighton like this:

BEIGHTON, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Rotherham and county of Derby. The parish lies on the river Rother, and on the Eckington and Sheffield railway, 3 miles N of Eckington; contains a charmingly situated village of its own name; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Sheffield. ...


Acres, 3,070. Real property, £8,864,-of which £4,000 are in mines. Pop. 1,284. Houses, 263. Medicinal waters, which have been long in repute, are at Birley; and scythes and sickles are manufactured at Hackenthorpe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £312.* Patron, Earl Manvers. The church was partly restored, partly rebuilt, in 1869. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £34.-The subdistrict, in addition to Beighton parish in Derby, comprises two parishes and part of another in Yorkshire. Acres, 10,656. Pop., 3,279. Houses, 675.

Beighton through time

Beighton is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beighton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beighton, in Sheffield and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3816

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beighton ".