Place:


Elsworth  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elsworth like this:

ELSWORTH, a parish in Caxton district, Cambridge; near the boundary with Hunts, 3 miles NNE of Caxton, and 5½ WSW of Long Stanton r. station. It has a post office under St. Ives. Acres, 3, 700. Real property, £4, 062. Pop., 787. Houses, 183. Part of the land is common. Elsworth House was the seat of the Pickwoods. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £480.* Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church is a fine edifice, with a pinnacled tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, an alms-house with £52 a year, and other charities £7.

Elsworth through time

Elsworth is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elsworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elsworth in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3788

Date accessed: 26th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elsworth ".