Place:


Linton  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Linton like this:

LINTON, a village and a parish in the district of Newent, and county of Hereford. The village stands on the boundary line between the country of Hereford and Gloucester, 4½ mile ENE of Ross r. station; and has a post office under Ross.—The parish comprises 2,775 acres. Real property, £5,081, of which £100 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 915. Houses, 21 1. The manor belongs to John Wright, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £555.*-Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is ancient, and has a tower and spire. There are a Baptist chapel and a slightly endowed school.

Linton through time

Linton is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Linton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Linton in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3511

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Linton ".