Place:


Highcliffe  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Highcliffe like this:

HIGH-CLIFF, a seat and a chapelry in Christchurch parish, Hants; on the coast, 2 miles E of Christchurch. The seat is High-Cliff Castle; it succeeded a villa of Lord Bute, the favourite of George III., which fell under encroachment of the sea; and it was itself built by the late Lord Stuart de Rothesay, and is also threatened by seaeucroachment. It has fantastic turrets; and may be called, as to appearance, a compound of castle, abbey, and church. The chapelry was constituted in 1862. Pop., about 400. The living is a p. curacy. Value, £80.* Patron, the Marchioness of Waterford.

Highcliffe through time

Highcliffe is now part of Christchurch district. Click here for graphs and data of how Christchurch has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Highcliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Highcliffe, in Christchurch and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3424

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Highcliffe ".