Place:


Ippollitts  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ippollitts like this:

IPPOLLITTS, or St. IPPOLYTS, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The village stands near the Great Northern railway, 2 miles SSE of Hitchin; and is small. The parish contains also places called Gosmore, Ashbrook, and Little Almshoe; and is scattered. Post town, Hitchin. Acres, 2, 970. ...


Real property, £6, 381. Pop., 952. Houses, 204. The property is much subdivided. A tumulus is at Gosmore, and another is 1 mile S. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Great Wymondley, in the diocese of Rochester. The church is of the 14th and 15th centuries; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with porches and a tower; and contains an open Tudor screen. There are a national school, and charities £21.

Ippollitts through time

Ippollitts is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ippollitts itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ippollitts in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3316

Date accessed: 23rd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ippollitts ".