Place:


Maes Teg  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maes Teg like this:

MAESTEG, a town and a sub-district in Bridgend district, Glamorgan. The town is in Llangonoyd parish; stands on the river Llynvi, and on the Llynvi Valley railway, 9 miles NW by N of Bridgend; occupies a sequestered spot, entirely surrounded by ranges of hills; is a place of recent origin and of rapid growth; owes its rise and progress to the establishment and extension of ironworks; and has a station on the railway, a post office‡ under Bridgend, a chapel of ease to Llangonoyd, several dissenting chapels, and two British schools. ...


Its pop. in 1867 was not much short of 14,000.—The sub-district contains all Llangonoyd parish and seven other parishes. Pop. in 1861,8,562. Houses, 1, 689.

Maes Teg through time

Maes Teg is now part of Bridgend district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgend has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Maes Teg itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maes Teg, in Bridgend and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/331

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Maes Teg ".