Place:


Thornaby on Tees  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornaby on Tees like this:

THORNABY, a township-chapelry in Stainton parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Tees, adjacent to Stockton. It contains South Stockton, which has a post-office under Stockton-upon-Tees. Acres, 1,230. Real property, £7,239. Pop. in 1851, 1,759; in 1861, 3,126. Houses, 597. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of blast-furnaces, and the opening of iron-ship building yards. Pop. in 1868, about 6,000. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop of York.

Thornaby on Tees through time

Thornaby on Tees is now part of Stockton on Tees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockton on Tees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornaby on Tees itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornaby on Tees, in Stockton on Tees and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/309

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornaby on Tees ".