Place:


Shelf  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shelf like this:

SHELF, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2½ miles NNW of Lightcliffe r. station, and 3 NE of Halifax; and has a post-office‡ under Halifax. The township comprises 1,350 acres. Real property, £7,610; of which £200 are in quarries, and £128 in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 3,414; in 1861, 3,062. Houses, 656. S. Hall, Wade House, and Furnace House are chief residences. Free-stone, ironstone, and coal abound; and manufactures of worsted and damask are carried on.—The chapelry was constituted in 1851. Pop. in 1861, 3,311. Houses, 712. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of R. The church is modern. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and a British school.

Shelf through time

Shelf is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shelf itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shelf, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/304

Date accessed: 21st September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shelf ".