Place:


Eastnor  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eastnor like this:

EASTNOR, a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; under the Malvern hills, near the Worcester and Hereford railway, 1¼ mile E of Ledbury. It has a post office under Ledbury. Acres, 3, 186. Real property, £3, 664; of which £22 are in quarries. Pop., 478. Houses, 105. The property is not much divided. ...


The parish gives the title of Viscount to Earl Somers. Eastnor Castle, the Earl's seat, is a splendid mansion, on the plan of ancient baronial castles. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value not reported.* Patron, Earl Somers. The church was recently rebuilt; and contains monuments of the Somers family.

Eastnor through time

Eastnor is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eastnor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eastnor in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3037

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eastnor ".