Place:


Burley in Wharfedale  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burley in Wharfedale like this:

BURLEY, a township-chapelry in Otley parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Leeds and Ilkley railway, 2 miles W by N of Otley. It includes a village, with a well built street about ¼ of a mile long; and has a post office† under Otley, and a r. station. Acres, 4,037. Real property, £8,638. ...


Pop., 2,136. Houses, 417. Burley Old Hall, Burley New Hall, and Burley Lodge are principal residences; and the latter two were built, in the latter part of last century, by Mande, the local descriptive poet. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton and worsted mills. The living is a vicarage, with Menston, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £137.* Patron, T. Horsfall, Esq. The church is modern; and there are three dissenting chapels.

Burley in Wharfedale through time

Burley in Wharfedale is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burley in Wharfedale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burley in Wharfedale, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/298

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burley in Wharfedale ".