Place:


Colwall  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colwall like this:

COLWALL, a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; under the Malvern Hills, and on the Worcester and Hereford railway, 3¾ miles NE by N of Ledbury. It has a station on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Colwall-Green, under Malvern. Acres, 3, 771. Real property, £5, 714. ...


Pop., 1, 628. Houses, 290. The surface shares the scenery of the Hereford beacon on the Malvern Hills. A gold circlet, set with stones, was found, in 1850, at Wind's point. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £540.* Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is decorated English, with a castellated tower; and contains some brasses and monuments. A school has £35 from endowment; and other charities £33.

Colwall through time

Colwall is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colwall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colwall in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2791

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colwall ".