Place:


Brahan  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Brahan like this:

Brahan Castle, a mansion in Urray parish, Ross-shire, on the left side of Conan Water, 1¾ mile above Conan Bridge, and 4 miles SSW of Dingwall. Built early in the 17th century by the first Earl of Seaforth, it is a grand old Highland fortress, engirt by scenery of the most magnificent kind; and it contains a good library and interesting portraits of Queen Mary, Lord Darnley, David Rizzio, and members of the Seaforth family. ...


Here in August 1725 General Wade received the submission of the Mackenzies. The present owner, Capt. Jas. Alex. F. H. Stewart-Mackenzie of Seaforth (b. 1847; suc. 1881), holds 8051 acres in the shire, valued at £7905 per annum.

Additional information about this locality is available for Urray

Brahan through time

Brahan is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brahan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brahan, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27006

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brahan ".