Place:


Dore  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dore like this:

DORE, a township and a chapelry in Dronfield parish, Derby. The township lies near the river Sheaf, adjacent to Yorkshire, 3 miles NW of Dronfield, and 5 SW by S of Sheffield r. station; and has a post office under Sheffield. Pop., 610. Houses, 131. The chapelry includes also the township of Totley; and was constituted in 1844. ...


Rated property, £2, 839. Pop., 1, 006. Houses, 213. The property is divided among a few. Quarrying, brick-making, the preparing of copperas, and the making of saw-handles are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £90.* Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church was rebuilt in 1828. There are Wesleyan and P. Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £33 a year, and charities £12.

Dore through time

Dore is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dore, in Sheffield and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2697

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dore ".