Place:


Tarbat House  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Tarbat House like this:

Tarbat House, the seat of Viscount Tarbat, in Kilmuir-Easter parish, Ross and Cromarty, near the NW side of Nigg Bay, and 7 furlongs SSE of Kildary station. It was built by John, Lord Macleod, in the latter part of the 18th century, and has stately avenues and beautiful gardens. New Tarbat Castle, once the seat of the Earls of Cromarty, stood near the site of the present mansion, and was a stately, turreted edifice, which fell into dilapidation after the third Earl's forfeiture in 1746, and has left some remains. See Cromarty.—Ord. Sur., sh. 94, 1878.

Additional information about this locality is available for Kilmuir Easter

Tarbat House through time

Tarbat House is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tarbat House itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tarbat House, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26958

Date accessed: 22nd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tarbat House ".