Place:


Llanelli  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Llanelli like this:

Llanelly.-- parl. bor., seaport, market town, and par., Carmarthenshire, on river Lliedi and on Burry Inlet, 11 miles NW. of Swansea and 225 miles NW. of London by rail - par., 17,952 ac. (98 water) and 2413 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 27,779; bor., 2163 ac., pop. 20,122; town, pop. 19,760; 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. ...


Market-days, Thursday and Saturday. This town has gained great commercial importance through the rich mineral resources of the neighbourhood, and also through its convenience for maritime traffic. Four excellent docks have been erected for the accommodation of shipping - the Llanelly or New Dock, the Copper Works Dock, the Lead Works or Pemberton Dock, and the Carmarthenshire Dock. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The local industries are chiefly connected with the working of copper, silver, lead, iron, and tin; while there are also extensive potteries, chemical works, brick and tile works, saw mills, flour mills, maltings, and breweries. The port is a convenient outlet for the produce of the South Wales coal fields. Llanelly forms one of the Carmarthen District of Parliamentary Boroughs (Carmarthen and Llanelly), which returns 1 member.

Llanelli through time

Llanelli is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanelli itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanelli in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/264

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanelli ".