Place:


Cleator Moor  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cleator Moor like this:

CLEATOR, three villages and a parish in White-haven district, Cumberland. The villages are Cleator, Cleator Moor, and Cleator-Lane-End; the first stands on the river Eden, 4 miles SE by S of Whitehaven; the others are within a mile of this; all three have post offices under Whitehaven, that of Cleator Moor with ‡; and Cleator Moor has likewise a station on a branch line of 2 miles, called the Cleator branch of the Whitehaven and Egremont railway. ...


The parish comprises 2, 844 acres. Real property, £29, 387; of which £23, 201 are in mines, and £900 in iron-works. Pop., 3, 995. Houses, 637. The property is much subdivided. The Flosh, adjacent to Cleator village, is the seat of T. Ainsworth. Esq. There are two factories, and extensive collieries and ironworks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £79. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is tolerable; and there are chapels for Wesleyans, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics.

Cleator Moor through time

Cleator Moor is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cleator Moor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cleator Moor, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/261

Date accessed: 27th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cleator Moor ".