Place:


Llancaiach  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llancaiach like this:

LLANCAIACH, a railway station on the E border of Glamorgan; on the Taff Vale extension railway, 2½ miles E of Quaker's Yard Junction, and nearly midway thence to the Rhymney Junction. It stands on a bleak mountain, amid collieries. The coal-field bere is traversed by many extensive faults, -one of which runs about 100 yards south-eastward; and the same coal which is worked by level at Tophill colliery, requires to be worked by a deep pit, at Llancaiach colliery, which is only a few hundred yards distant from the former.

Additional information about this locality is available for Llanfabon

Llancaiach through time

Llancaiach is now part of Merthyr Tydfil district. Click here for graphs and data of how Merthyr Tydfil has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llancaiach itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llancaiach, in Merthyr Tydfil and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26097

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llancaiach ".