Place:


Myton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Myton like this:

MYTON, a sub-district in Holy Trinity and St. Mary parish, Hull district, E. R. Yorkshire; within Hullborough, and comprising the wards of North Myton and South Myton. Pop. of N. M. in 1851, 12, 639; in 1861, 15, 485. Houses, 2, 907. The workhouse, the infirmary, and the borough lunatic asylum are here; and, at the census of 1861, had respectively 328, 123, and 122 in-mates. Pop. of S. M. in 1851, 19, 923; in 1861, 24, 581. Houses, 5, 239. The jail, the penitentiary, and a convent are here; and, at the census of 1861, had respectively 155, 36, and 30 inmates.

The location is that of Hull Union Workshop, and is approximately half way between where the names "North Myton Ward" and "South Myton Ward" appear on the Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 map of Yorkshire of 1855-6, accessible on the old-maps.co.uk site; neither name seems to refer to a distinct settlement. Additional information about this locality is available for Kingston upon Hull

Myton through time

Myton is now part of Kingston upon Hull district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kingston upon Hull has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Myton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Myton, in Kingston upon Hull and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25973

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Myton ".