Place:


Groves  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Groves like this:

GROVES, a chapelry in Drypool parish, E. R. Yorkshire; in the E side of Hull. It was constituted in 1866. Pop., 7, 172. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of York. Value, £300. * Patron, alt. the Crown and the Arch b.

The location is that of the former 'St. Mark's Church ... in the manufacturing district known as the "Groves"', as listed in Bulmer's East Yorkshire (1892), part 9, "Churches and Chapels" (available on-line at http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Hull/HullHistory/HullHistory9.html, accessed 8 Dec 2011). The church is marked and named on, for example, the Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map of Yorkshire of 1910 (accessible via old-maps.co.uk), shown in St. Mark Street with the place name 'The Groves" appearing just to the south. Additional information about this locality is available for Drypool

Groves through time

Groves is now part of Kingston upon Hull district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kingston upon Hull has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Groves itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Groves, in Kingston upon Hull and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25970

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Groves ".