Place:


Orwell  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orwell like this:

ORWELL, a village and a parish in Caxton district, Cambridgeshire. The village stands adjacent to the Roman road to Cambridge, 3 miles N N W of Shepreth r.station, and 6¾ N of Royston; and has a post-office under Royston. The parish comprises 1,850 acres. Real property, £3, 464. Pop., 645. ...


Houses, 135. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Capt. Bendyshe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £440.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and fine chancel, with porch and tower; and containsmonuments of Professors Stubbs and Mason, who were rectors. A chapel was formerly at Malton, and is nowa ruin. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £82.

Orwell through time

Orwell is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Orwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orwell in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2596

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Orwell ".