Place:


Quakers Yard  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Quakers Yard like this:

QUAKERS-YARD, a village in the E of Glamorgan; on the river Taff at the influx of the Bargoed, adjacent to the Taff Vale Extension railway, at the junction of the branch to Hirwain, 7½ miles S S E of Merthyr-Tydvil. Ittook its name from an old burying-place of Quakers; stands in a fine curve of the valley, engirt all round by hills; and has a station with telegraph at the railway junction.

Additional information about this locality is available for Merthyr Tudful

Quakers Yard through time

Quakers Yard is now part of Merthyr Tydfil district. Click here for graphs and data of how Merthyr Tydfil has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Quakers Yard itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Quakers Yard, in Merthyr Tydfil and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25694

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Quakers Yard ".