Place:


Low Town  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Low Town like this:

LOW-TOWN, a chapelry in Tynemouth parish, Northumberland; connected with North Shields. It was constituted in 1860, and is sometimes called St. Peters. Post town, North Shields. Pop. in 1861,6,314. Houses, 743. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £200.* Patron, the Duke of Northumberland.

The location is that of St Peter's church, Low Town, North Shields, as marked on the Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map of Durham of 1915, accessible on the old-maps.co.uk site. Additional information about this locality is available for North Shields

Low Town through time

Low Town is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Low Town itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Low Town, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25646

Date accessed: 16th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Low Town ".