Place:


Howgill  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Howgill like this:

HOWGILL, a chapelry in Sedbergh parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Lune, under Howgill Fell, at the boundary with Westmoreland, 2 miles SE by S of Low Gill r. station, and 3 NW of Sedbergh. Post town, Sedbergh, under Kendal. The statistics are returned with the parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £80. Patron, the Vicar of Sedbergh.

Additional information about this locality is available for Sedbergh

Howgill through time

Howgill is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Howgill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Howgill, in South Lakeland and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25479

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Howgill ".