Place:


Langdale  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langdale like this:

LANGDALE, a township in Orton parish, Westmoreland; on the river Lune, 2 miles SSE of Orton. Real property, with Raisbeck, £2,977. Pop., 123. The manor was given, by Henry II., to Walton priory; went, after the dissolution, to the Wharton family; passed to the Bickersteths; and gave them the title of Baron.

Additional information about this locality is available for Orton

Langdale through time

Langdale is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langdale, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25382

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langdale ".