Place:


Ushlawrcoed  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ushlawrcoed like this:

USHLAWRCOED, a division of Bedwelty parish, Monmouth; containing part of Tredegar. Acres, 6,150. Real property, £68,255; of which £26,500 are in iron-works, £7,935 in mines, £124 in quarries, £3,700 in railways, and £400 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 15,424; in 1861, 17,038. Houses, 3,115. See Tredegar.

The name "Ushlawrcoed" has not been found on a topographic map, including a search of the nineteenth century 1:10,560 and 1:2,500 maps on the old-maps.co.uk site. The location is that of Tredegar. According to Oliver Jones, The Early Days of Sirhowy and Tredegar (Risca: Tredegar Historical Society, 1969), "Uwchlaw y Coed (...) means 'Hand above the Woods' and covers the entire stretch of land on the western side of the Sirhowy river from Nantybwch to a point near Argoed. (...) Ishlaw y Coed (Hand below the woods) lies on the same side of the river but from Argoed down, 'Argoed' being the heavily wooded area which divided the upper and lower parts of the valley." Additional information about this locality is available for Tredegar

Ushlawrcoed through time

Ushlawrcoed is now part of Blaenau Gwent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaenau Gwent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ushlawrcoed itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ushlawrcoed, in Blaenau Gwent and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25176

Date accessed: 16th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ushlawrcoed ".