Place:


Abbots Oak  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abbots Oak like this:

OAKS, a chapelry in Newton-Linford, Whitwick, and Sheepshed parishes, Leicestershire; in Charnwood-forest, 2 miles N E of Bardon-Hill r. station, and 6 S W of Loughborough. It was constituted in 1852; and its post town is-Loughborough. Pop. in 1861, 702. Houses, 76. Pop. of the Newton-Linford portion, 19; of the Whitwick portion, 396; of the Sheepshed portion, 287. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £90.* Patrons, the Owners of the six manors of the Forest. The church is neat, and has a tower.

Additional information about this locality is available for Whitwick

Abbots Oak through time

Abbots Oak is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abbots Oak itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abbots Oak, in North West Leicestershire and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25149

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abbots Oak ".