Place:


Aberystruth  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aberystruth like this:

ABERYSTRUTH, a parish, which is also a subdistrict, in the district of Abergavenny, Monmouth; at the Blaina station of the Western Valleys railway, 9 miles WSW of Abergavenny. Post Town, Blaina under Tredegar. Acres, 11,788. Real property, £63,055,-of which £38,673 are in mines and iron-works. ...


Pop. in 1841, 11,272; in 1861, 16,055. Houses, 2,865. The property is held in two estates. The surface is chiefly upland, round the higher reaches of the Ebbw river. Collieries and iron-works, round Nantyglo, Beaufort, and other centres, employ a great proportion of the inhabitants, and have undergone great recent increase. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff Value, £265. Patron, the Earl of Abergavenny. The curacy of Abertillery is included; and the vicarage of Nantyglo and cur. of Beaufort are separate benefices. The parish-church is good. Aberystruth is sometimes called Blaen-Gwent.

Aberystruth through time

Aberystruth is now part of Blaenau Gwent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaenau Gwent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aberystruth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aberystruth, in Blaenau Gwent and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24974

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aberystruth ".