Place:


Ysgwyddgwyn  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ysgwyddgwyn like this:

YSGWYDDGWYN, a hamlet in Gelligaer parish, Glamorgan; 6½ miles N of Caerphilly. Real property, £786. Pop. in 1851, 112; in 1861, 537. Houses, 96. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of new colieries.

The location is that of the more modern settlement of Deri, but Ysgwyddgwyn would seem to refer to a broader area. The nineteenth century First Series map includes, somewhat illegibly, both Ysgwydd gwyn isaf and Ysgwydd gwyn isaf in the same area. Additional information about this locality is available for Gelli Gaer

Ysgwyddgwyn through time

Ysgwyddgwyn is now part of Caerphilly district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caerphilly has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ysgwyddgwyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ysgwyddgwyn, in Caerphilly and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24933

Date accessed: 16th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ysgwyddgwyn ".