Place:


St Marys Island  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Marys Island like this:

BATE'S ISLAND, a small island in Earsdon parish, Northumberland; nearly opposite Hartley, 4½ miles SSE of Blyth. Here are remains of a chapel and a hermitage. Here also is a small harbour, made by Lord Delaval, for sheltering fishermen in storms.

Additional information about this locality is available for Hartley

St Marys Island through time

St Marys Island is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Marys Island itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Marys Island, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24602

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Marys Island ".