Place:


Amberley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Amberley like this:

AMBERLEY, a hamlet in Minchinhampton parish, and a chapelry in Minchinhampton and Rodborough parishes, Gloucester. The hamlet stands near Nailsworth, 3 miles S of Stroud r. station; and its Post Town is Nailsworth under Stroud. The chapelry includes the hamlet, and was constituted in 1841. Pop., 1,438. Houses, 364. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300.* Patron, D. Ricardo, Esq.

Additional information about this locality is available for Minchinhampton

Amberley through time

Amberley is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Amberley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Amberley, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24407

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Amberley ".