Place:


Butterton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Butterton like this:

BUTTERTON, a township in Trentham parish, and a chapelry in Trentham, Swinnerton, and Stoke-upon-Trent parishes, Stafford. The township lies adjacent to the Grand Trunk canal and the Manchester and Birmingham railway, 2 miles S of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and includes the hamlet of Millstone-Green. Acres, 470. Pop., 57. Houses, 8. Butterton Hall is the seat of the Pilkingtons. The chapelry was constituted in 1845; and its Post Town is Newcastle-under-Lyne. Pop., 379. Houses, 74. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patrons, Sir W. and Lady Pilkington.

Additional information about this locality is available for Trentham

Butterton through time

Butterton is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Butterton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Butterton, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24133

Date accessed: 24th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Butterton ".