Place:


Glyntaff  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Glyntaff like this:

GLYNTAFF, a hamlet in Eglwysilan parish, and a chapelry in Eglwysilan, Llantrisaint, and Llanwonno parishes, Glamorgan. The hamlet lies on the river Taf, adjacent to the Glamorgan canal and the Vale of Taf railway, near Treforest and Newbridge Junction r. stations, 5 miles W of Caerphilly. Real property, £6, 388; of which £52 are in quarries, £1, 000 in ironworks, £85 in the canal, and £170 in railways. ...


Pop. in 1851, 2, 050; in 1861, 2, 724. Houses, 567. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of mining and manufacturing operations. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Pop. of the Eglwysilan portion, 2, 279; of the Llantrisaint portion, 3, 182; of the whole, 7, 443. Houses in the E. portion, 472; in the L. portion, 642; in the whole, 1, 535. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Eglwysilan

Glyntaff through time

Glyntaff is now part of Rhondda; Cynon; Taff district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rhondda; Cynon; Taff has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glyntaff itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glyntaff, in Rhondda; Cynon; Taff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23875

Date accessed: 11th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glyntaff ".