Place:


Bream  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bream like this:

BREAM, or Breem, a tything in Newland parish, and a chapelry in Newland and West Dean parishes, Gloucester. The tything lies in Dean forest, 3 miles NW of Lydney r. station, and 3¾ SSE of Coleford. Pop., 824. Houses, 154. The chapelry was constituted in 1854; and its Post Town is Lydney. Pop., 2,083. Houses, 404. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £250.* Patron, the Bishop. The church was partly rebuilt in 1861. There are two Methodist chapels. National schools were built in 1862.

Bream through time

Bream is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bream itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bream, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23272

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bream ".