Place:


Ibsley  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ibsley like this:

IBSLEY, a parish in Ringwood district, Hants; on the river Avon, near the boundary with Dorset, 3 miles N of Ringwood r. station. Post town, Ringwood. Acres, 1, 748. Real property, £1, 506. Pop., 286. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Normanton. The views on the Avon here are very fine. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Fordingbridge, in the diocese of Winchester. The church contains a monument to Sir John Constable; and was reported in 1859 as not good. There is an Independent chapel.

Ibsley through time

Ibsley is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ibsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ibsley, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2324

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ibsley ".