Place:


Brithdir  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brithdir like this:

BRITHDIR, a hamlet in Gilligaer parish, Glamorgan; on the river Rumney, at the verge of the county, 8 miles SE of Merthyr-Tydvil. Real property, £37,322; of which £14,394 are in mines, and £8,844 in iron-works. Pop., 3,879. Houses, 683. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in the iron-works and in collieries. The hamlet forms a curacy with Gilligaer.

Brithdir through time

Brithdir is now part of Caerphilly district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caerphilly has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brithdir itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brithdir, in Caerphilly and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22946

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brithdir ".