Place:


Selly Oak  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Selly Oak like this:

SELLY-OAK, a chapelry in Northfield parish, Worcester; near the Birmingham and Worcester railway, 3 miles S S W of Birmingham. It was constituted in 1860; and it has a post-office under Birmingham. Pop., 1, 483. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1861; and is in the early decorated style. Schools were built in 1860; and the Kings-Norton new workhouse was founded here in 1869.

Selly Oak through time

Selly Oak is now part of Birmingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Birmingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Selly Oak itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Selly Oak, in Birmingham and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22916

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Selly Oak ".