Place:


Sheeping Moors  Glamorgan

 

The location is that marked on the OS First Series map as "Shipping Moors". The area was described by the 1881 census as "land common to St Andrew and Cadoxton juxta Barry", putting it into this general vicinity. An article in the Transactions of the Glamorgan Local History Society speaks of a scheme "to drain the Cadoxton Sheeping Moors which had been common land, to convert it into meadow and to erect a flour mill" (vol. 24 (1980), pp. 44-5; on-line via Welsh Journals On-line, http://cylchgronaucymru.llgc.org.uk/browse/viewpage/llgc-id:1169834/llgc-id:1172366/llgc-id:1172412/getText, accessed 22/1/2011), so the area was marshland.

Sheeping Moors through time

Sheeping Moors is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sheeping Moors itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sheeping Moors in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22719

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sheeping Moors ".