Place:


Canton  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Canton like this:

CANTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Llandaff parish, Glamorgan; adjacent to the Taff Valley and the Rvmney railways, 1 mile NW of Cardiff. It has a post office‡ under Cardiff. Rated property, £5,589. Pop., 3,920. Houses, 709. The property is much subdivided. The chapelry was constituted in 1858. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. A Baptist chapel, in the Lombardic style, was built in 1858.

Canton through time

Canton is now part of Cardiff district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cardiff has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Canton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Canton, in Cardiff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22713

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Canton ".