Place:


Great Heaton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Heaton like this:

HEATON (Great), a township in Prestwich parish, Lancashire; on the river Irk, 4 miles N by W of Manchester. It was anciently known as Heaton-Reddish; and it includes the hamlet of Lands-End. Acres, 866. Real property, £2, 508. Pop., 159. Houses, 34. The manor belonged to the Langleys, and passed to the Reddishes, the Cokes, and the Drinkwaterses. Most of the land, with Heaton House, belongs now to the Earl of Wilton. Heaton House is a modern edifice, in the Ionic style; and stands in a well wooded park, about 5 miles in circuit

Great Heaton through time

Great Heaton is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Heaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Heaton, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22622

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Heaton ".