Place:


Chirton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chirton like this:

CHIRTON, a township in Tynemouth parish, Northumberland; on the river Tyne and the North Shields railway, ¾ of a mile W of North Shields. It has a post office under North Shields. Acres, 1, 730. Pop., 5, 544. Houses, 1, 047. There were extensive collieries here; but they have been worked out.

Chirton through time

Chirton is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chirton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chirton, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22468

Date accessed: 15th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chirton ".