Place:


Eilean Maree  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Eilean Maree like this:

Ellan-Maree, a wooded islet of Gairloch parish, Rossshire, one of the smallest and most easterly of the island group towards the middle of Loch Maree. It seems to have been the site of a pre-Reformation chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and hence to have got its name, which some, however, derive from the Gael. ...


Ellan-mac-Righ, ` the island of the king's son, ' a prince of Norway, according to tradition, having been buried here. It contains remains of an ancient burying-ground, and has also a deep well, consecrated in popular superstition to Saint Maree. Till not very long ago EllanMaree was supposed by the country folk round to possess a virtue for the cure of insanity-their method for obtaining the cure being to drag the lunatic to the shore of the lake, fasten him by a rope to a rowing boat, and tow him round the island, after which he had to drink some water from the holy well. The island was visited by Queen Victoria in Sept. 1881.—Ord. Sur., sh. 92, 1881.

Eilean Maree through time

Eilean Maree is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eilean Maree itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eilean Maree, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22088

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eilean Maree ".