Place:


Newtown  Roxburghshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Newtown like this:

Newtown or Newtown St Boswells, a village in Melrose and St Boswells parishes, Roxburghshire, with a station (St Boswells) on the North British railway, at the forking of the lines to Hawick and Kelso, and at the junction of the Berwickshire railway, 3¼ miles SE of Melrose and 40 ½ SE of Edinburgh. ...


Lying 370 feet above sea-level, at the eastern base of the Eildons, and within 5 furlongs of the Tweed's right bank, it contains some commodious houses, and presents a pleasant appearance. Its waterworks, formed in 1876 at a cost of more than £400, draw their supplies from the Eildon Hills; and it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, branches of the Royal and British Linen Co.'s Banks, an hotel, a U.P. church (1870), a public school, a stock sale every alternate Monday, and hiring fairs on the first Mondays of March, May, and November. Pop. (1871) 302, (1881) 444.—Ord. Sur., sh. 25, 1865.

Newtown through time

Newtown is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newtown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newtown, in Scottish Borders and Roxburghshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22086

Date accessed: 20th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newtown ".